New Website – What’s Changed?
Key updates to our evenings (when COVID-19 restrictions are eased):
- All dark night sky shows involve telescope, binocular and naked eye gazing
- All sky shows involve 90 minutes of commentary and gazing
- To prevent spread of coronavirus we no longer freely supply warm gear – we will incorporate firepits into our evenings on cold nights and we can hire use of blankets, beanies, gloves and scarves for unprepared guests – the hire charge will recoup cleaning of items after each use
- Small groups can gaze off our Sky Deck, a protected area at the rear of our indoor café/theatrette area where a fire can blaze
- We no longer host pure naked eye/binocular sky shows
Key updates to our days:
- Sky Dome Café is onsite and opens during the day
- Limited takeaway service only while COVID-19 restrictions in place
- Once permitted, day astronomy presentations will be hosted, incorporating Sun viewing, moon viewing or both
What should I wear?
At any time of year, including warm months December, January, February and March, you must bring a jacket. We suggest you wear as a minimum:
- Full-length trousers
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Closed in shoes or boots, with socks
From April to November plan to wear three to six layers, including thermals. You can always peel off layers.
You should plan to wear multiple items, including vest, jackets, jumpers, coats, wind jacket, overcoat. Always pack a beanie, scarf and gloves for the outback after dark.
Due to COVID-19 concerns, please also bring for added warmth and comfort:
- Thick blanket or sleeping bag
We may light a campfire, subject to wind and other conditions.
Time Zone in Broken Hill, Australia
Australian Central Daylight Time (ACDT) in Broken Hill is equal to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) +10.5 hours (October, November, December, January, February, March)
Daylight saving time begins at 2am on the first Sunday in October. Clocks are put forward one hour. It ends at 2am (3am Daylight Saving Time) on the first Sunday in April. Clocks are put back one hour.
Australian Central Standard Time (ACST) in Broken HIll is equal to UTC +9.5 hours (April, May, June, July, August, September)