Outback Astronomy - The Experience
SPECTACULAR SKY ENCOUNTER
Be enchanted and amazed by the clarity of the outback sky at night.
Enjoy a panoramic sky view of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Hosted on clear dark nights under the vast outback sky, at Broken Hill, NSW.
Your sky guide will explain the sky view.
There is no light pollution and no cities around for hundreds of kilometres.
No prior astronomy knowledge required.
Please read carefully.
The pandemic has changed how we do things. The way we operate will reflect the following, until further notice:
- All events are hosted outdoors at our venue.
- Scan of the Service NSW QR Code is required at entry gate.
- Food and beverage service remains available from our commercial kitchen next to our stargazing site. We expect to use more disposable packaging and less crockery.
- Hand sanitiser and alcohol wipes are available at our venue. Guests are also welcome to bring their own if concerned about supply replenishment during events.
- Guests must be prepared for cool conditions, even at the peak of a hot summer, and wear clothes appropriate for local weather conditions. Warm gear will not be issued to guests.
Read this blog post for additional information.
HANG OUT WITH THE STARS® or MILKY WAY HANGOUT …
Such a quandary. These most popular sky shows are hosted on dark, clear evenings and both involve telescope, binocular and naked eye viewing.
The Milky Way Hangout is hosted in the cool months and is all about the winter sky. Hang out with the Stars® is hosted in warmer months when the brightest stars in the galaxy are overhead.
Scroll through our calendar of events to find a sky show and a date that suits you.
OTHER SERVICES & EVENTS
We host The Sky Tonight in between dark skies so expect the Moon to be part of your entertainment. Get to know your Moon as well as stars, planets and space missions.
A commercial kitchen and bar is conveniently located next to our star gazing site. We schedule dinners and barbecues before sky shows, eg Dinner by Dusk and Sunset Sizzle. Enjoy food and beverages under the stars. Book delightful treats from our range of offerings.
Please do not bring your own foods or beverages to our licensed venue as we manage an outdoors environment where conditions are unpredictable. We have created service under the stars that suits our venue and these conditions.
LISTEN AND ENJOY
At your sky show you will use a personal audio unit to hear live commentary by your knowledgeable sky guide.
Please bring your own ear phones (eg standard 3.5mm connector as used in mp3 players or tablets). If you don’t have any you can purchase from us when you make your booking.